TSt.L&C

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
DT&I
Commodore Perry

Re: TSt.L&C

Unread post by DT&I »

Design is slated to look similar to this.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Complete story of the TSCR from the beginning.

THE EARLY YEARS(1906-1940)
Heritage of the Toledo St. Louis & Chicago Railroad can be traced back to 1906 when the Delaware Lackawanna & Western was reorganizing and improving their system they still did not reach Chicago and had to rely on others to handle freight. In 1907 William Truesdale, then president of the DL&W partnered with Richard Morris, a businessman from Schenectady, NY. Morris had a vision of a new mainline between Buffalo, NY and Chicago, IL to compete with the PRR, ERIE, B&O, NYC, and other big names at the time. Truesdale, at the time looking at a merger with the NYC&St.L found his solution. Funded by the DL&W, Morris set out to make his vision come true. Production on the line began in mid 1908 and was very slow, unorganized, and inefficient. Working hours were long and very little ever got done, project managers and foremen were all hired by Morris and most had little or no experience with building a railroad. By the time 1909 rolled around only 90 miles of track had been laid to Erie, PA. In May of 1909, Truesdale, seeing how slowly the line was being built and how poorly it was being assembled, chose to break off the partnership with Morris and discontinue funds. It was a major blow. Morris was furious, he knew that if this line were to be finished that he would have to pay unless he found someone interested. In July of 1908 J.P. Waltrip & Co. purchased the unfinished railroad from Morris and replaced all of the higher staff who had been hand picked by Morris. By September of 1908 the production of the line was again in full swing. In just two months 30 more miles had been tacked on. With production booming, and everything going well, it just so happens it didn't last. While blasting away a railroad cut, carelessness resulted in the deaths of two workers not far enough from the blast, 8 others were injured. Operations had not even begun and publicity was bad. As J.P. Waltrip & Co. folded in late 1909. It appeared as if the line was doomed. No more than two days after it was announced J.P. Waltrip & Co. was bankrupt, Richard Morris committed suicide in his home in New York, buried in debt and depressed he died a poor man. Production continued as the Bessemer & Lake Erie took control in 1910. By 1913 the line was complete and operations began. June 1st, 1913 a ribbon cutting ceremony was held in Buffalo, NY. The company, then the Buffalo & Chicago, was a subsidiary of the B&LE which was owned by Carnegie Steel. The line wasn't what Morris had thought, only a few trains a day and minimal passenger service, by 1912 the B&LE opted to sell the line to Henry Ford as an easy way to send his auto traffic west to the important hub in Chicago. Train traffic saw a steep spike, passenger traffic was up and the line was booming. A branch to serve booming industries in downtown Buffalo was built in 1915. In 1922, train traffic sunk, the Buffalo branch was abandoned and ripped out. Passenger service from Cleveland to Buffalo was discontinued, and the line was in poor shape. Deferred maintenance east of Liberty Center, Ohio caused the line to grow weedy and become bad track. In 1929 when the PRR gained control over the DT&I, they dumped the line off to the small St. Louis & Northeastern. On December 1st, 1929, the St. Louis Chicago & Buffalo commenced operations. The line east of Conneaut, PA was in such bad shape that in 1930 it was declared to be out of service. Three major derailments near Erie, PA in March of 1930 in which 3 people were killed caused the line to be deemed OOS and unsafe. In July of 1930, the Chesapeake & Ohio acquired 28% of the St.LC&B stock, giving it working control over the company. By late 1931 the name was changed to the Toledo St. Louis & Chicago Railroad, although the C&O still had control. July of 1933 brought major changes to the system, the line from Buffalo to Conneaut was rehabbed although and became part of the C&O system. By 1934 the TSt.L&C was almost completely part of the C&O. In 1935 the C&O proposed a merger between the C&O, NKP, W&LE, and TSt.L&C. Mainly to develop western connections and create a "super railroad" with the Missouri Pacific, Denver Rio Grande & Western, and the Western Pacific. As the NKP backed out so did the western roads. In 1938 the C&O sold the TSt.L&C to a private owner named Harold Smithe. Smithe dumped off branch lines and old locomotives and consolidated his other railroad, the St. Louis Terminal, into the TSt.L&C. The B&LE again became a direct partner in 1939 after the C&O abandoned the former St.LC&B line from Buffalo to Conneaut.
WORLD WAR 2 AND POSTWAR(1940-1950)
In 1940 when World War 2 swallowed the U.S., the traffic on the TSt.L&C saw a steep incline. Passenger trains became more popular and moving military equipment added to freight traffic. In 1941 the TSt.L&C bought 23% of the DL&W stock, and along with the New York Central, controlled the DL&W. After the war the DL&W eyed a possible merger with the NYC&St.L but the NYC and TSt.L&C opposed the idea as the DL&W would then be in direct competition with both parent companies. In 1947 the TSt.L&C became completely dieselized as Smithe knew steam was obsolete. At the time the TSt.L&C purchased the former WAB 5th District from Maumee, OH to Ft. Wayne, IN. The line gave them access to the Toledo Terminal allowing for the TSt.L&C to reach the Detroit Toledo Shoreline to move traffic to Detroit. This allowed easy access from Detroit to the gulf via the Illinois Central. From then on the IC and TSt.L&C would be tangled for the rest of the 20th century. In 1950, Harold Smithe died, leaving a hole in the company. A day after Smithe's death, the Louisville & Nashville started purchasing TSt.L&C stock. Seeing the L&N's interest in the line, the Illinois Central also began purchasing stock. By the end of May 1950, both companies owned 25%.
EXPANSION(1951-1970)
In 1953 the IC attempted to purchase the TSt.L&C outright but the ICC denied it. The L&N soon became interested in the Nashville Chattanooga & St. Louis and sold its stock in the TSt.L&C. The IC again attempted to merge and in 1957 the ICC approved of the merger. By January 1st, 1958 the TSt.L&C became a separate subsidiary of the IC and operations remained independent. With IC in the driver seat things quickly began to change, the IC saw Cleveland as a major port on Lake Erie and set out to make that true, they wanted to get away from the smaller, weaker B&LE as a partner. They had a choice with the D&LW, either merge it into the system or let it go. In 1959 all stock in the D&LW was sold and all control over it was given up. The D&LW was bankrupt and desperately looking for a merger soon after. In 1962 the TSt.L&C bought the DTSL but it would remain separate. With control over the DTSL, the TSt.L&C now had one of the preferred route to Detroit. Over the next few years the railroad that saved the TSt.L&C, the C&O, and the TSt.L&C competed heavily for traffic to Detroit. In 1968 the IC purchased the Toledo Terminal but kept its operations separate, and with Penn Central now operating in Toledo they had more competition. Since ties were still trying to be separated with the B&LE and the IC was trying to build Cleveland as a major port for freight, trackage from Euclid to Conneaut, PA was abandoned and torn up.
THE 70's(1971-1979)
In 1972 the IC merged with the GM&O to create the Illinois Central Gulf. This merger created an increase in traffic to Detroit. In 1973 the Wakarusa Branch in Wakarusa, IN was abandoned and removed. Business was slowing severely on the TSt.L&C and again maintenance was deferred in yards and branch lines to save money. John Carrol was appointed president of the TSt.L&C in 1974 and things got worse. Power was mainly first generation EMD's and Alco's and most crossing signals were just crossbucks on a wooden post. A lot of the signals were OOS and needed replaced and with Amtrak on the line signals became issues. Amtrak eventually moved away from the line in 1975. John Carrol was fired in May of 1975 and Frank Thompson took his position. Thompson had prior experience with railroading and turned the company around. Business was up in late 1975, signals were upgraded, ties replaced, and crossings upgraded. By 1976 most old motive power had been replaced and Conrail and Chessie both held a stake in the Toledo Terminal. With TSt.L&C, Chessie System, and Conrail having control over the TT, the name was changed to the Toledo Belt Railroad. By 1977 the Michigan Air Line had been purchased from the Grand Trunk Western along with a handful of other lines in Michigan, mainly lightly used mains and branchlines. In 1979 the abandoned Cincinnati Northern main in Cecil, Ohio was relayed to service a customer south of town.
INDEPENDENCE AT LAST(1981-1999)
In 1981 the DTSL was fully merged into the TSt.L&C. The Norfolk & Western sold the Maumee River Line to the TSt.L&C outright in late 1981. In 1985 the the ICG funded the TSt.L&C to start building an intermodal facility in Cleveland. Production began in August 1985 and was completed in 1987. In 1988 the ICG changed its name back to the IC and the TSt.L&C began to shut down many towers along the line. Most notable is WX Tower in Liberty Center where the two TSt.L&C mainlines cross. In 1992 the TBR was absorbed into the TSt.L&C but Conrail still held a 15% stake. The IC purchased the Elgin Joliet & Eastern in 1995 as a better way to bypass Chicago and still connect to all railroads there. A year later the Wisconsin Central was purchased and merged into the TSt.L&C. In 1996 the TSt.L&C sold the rest Cloverleaf south of Waterville to the Toledo Lake Erie & Western to become a tourist line. When the Conrail merger happened in 1999, CSX and NS decided to sell Conrail's share in the TBR and it was finally completely owned by the TSt.L&C. In June of that year the TSt.L&C and IC finally merged and took the TSt.L&C name.
RECENT YEARS(2000-PRESENT)
In 2006 the Dakota Minnesota & Eastern and Iowa Chicago & Eastern were both purchased and merged with each other and then merged into the TSt.L&C. In 2008 the Toledo Branch was purchased from CSX Transportation due to its redundancy.In 2010 the Grand Rapids & Pontiac was aqcuired from Watco and has since been the stronghold of the TSCR's stake in MIchigan. And in late 2011 the Ohio Central System and sister lines were purchased.
Last edited by DT&I on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

SD80MAC's have been released from helper service and SD60ACe's have been assigned to their spot. SD60ACe's have been specifically built to replace the SD80 in helper service.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

There are still a few of these running around in 2013. Built in 2005 and acquired in 2010, paint has gone to hell. Being stuck in PA coal service doesn't help.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Rebuilding of the C40-8's has been cancelled.
TSCR has filed to acquire the B&P and the deal is pending approval of the STB.
TSCR officials will be touring the system in an OCS pulled by the company's F units.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

OCS Schedule:
Origin-------------------Destination
Chicago,IL--------------Madison,WI
Madison,WI----------Minneapolis,MN
Minneapolis,MN------Milwaukee,WI
Milwaukee,WI---------Springfield,IL
Springfield,IL----------Memphis,TN
Memphis,TN---------Baton Rouge,LA
Baton Rouge,LA-------Memphis,TN
Memphis,TN------------Chicago,IL

So far no dates have been released but this will be a sightseeing tour for TSCR officials and a group of kids with Cancer. There will also be 7 cars available to the public with the option to purchase the full trip or trips between cities with a ride back to the original city when the train returns. All proceeds will go to Cancer research.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

As of 8-10-13 all C40-8's are in storage in Chicago. Until further notice they will not be moved.

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

would you have any 4axel units for sale 38-2/28b/rs27+c425 or smaller
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

If your not going to use the C40-8s, the CC&P would like to lease 5-10 of them, as unit trains (grain, ethanol, and stone) will be ramping up starting in September...
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Sure lease as many as you want, probably good they don't sit dormant but it won't do any good for the other 30+ lol.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:Sure lease as many as you want, probably good they don't sit dormant but it won't do any good for the other 30+ lol.
Thanks! They'll be put to good use. What kind of condition are they in? We'll be sending some people over to check them out and pick the ones we want.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

heartlandguy wrote:
DT&I wrote:Sure lease as many as you want, probably good they don't sit dormant but it won't do any good for the other 30+ lol.
Thanks! They'll be put to good use. What kind of condition are they in? We'll be sending some people over to check them out and pick the ones we want.
They are in OK condition, some are in the new 3 stripe scheme and others are faded and rusty in black dip scheme. Low narrow flashing ditch lights, marker lights, high headlight, cab AC, RS5T horn, rear ditch lights, inside of the cab was overhauled in 2010 to feature computer screens and better setup, EZ start equipped, and all have heated seats. Now the ex-OC&M units have low flashing ditch lights, rear ditch lights, marker lights, 3 stripe scheme, many have K5LA horns, no heat, no AC, old style cab, no EZ start, and have not been overhauled, I personally would not recommend those. Those will probably be scrapped sometime soon anyways.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:
heartlandguy wrote:
They are in OK condition, some are in the new 3 stripe scheme and others are faded and rusty in black dip scheme. Low narrow flashing ditch lights, marker lights, high headlight, cab AC, RS5T horn, rear ditch lights, inside of the cab was overhauled in 2010 to feature computer screens and better setup, EZ start equipped, and all have heated seats. Now the ex-OC&M units have low flashing ditch lights, rear ditch lights, marker lights, 3 stripe scheme, many have K5LA horns, no heat, no AC, old style cab, no EZ start, and have not been overhauled, I personally would not recommend those. Those will probably be scrapped sometime soon anyways.
Roger, sounds like your guys just spruced up all the ex-OC&M units with the new scheme to make them LOOK nice. :lol: Anyway, we will likely be picking from the first group you described. How many of them are in the batch that got rebuilt?

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Yea well the OC&M scheme was ugly and needed to be destroyed lol, all of the original TSCR units were rebuilt.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:Yea well the OC&M scheme was ugly and needed to be destroyed lol, all of the original TSCR units were rebuilt.
Alrighty. Power Management is debating whether to get 5 or 10, but will probably just split the difference and get 8. If we like them, and need some more later on in harvest season, can we get more?

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

heartlandguy wrote:
DT&I wrote:Yea well the OC&M scheme was ugly and needed to be destroyed lol, all of the original TSCR units were rebuilt.
Alrighty. Power Management is debating whether to get 5 or 10, but will probably just split the difference and get 8. If we like them, and need some more later on in harvest season, can we get more?
You can get as many as you need, they will probably be in storage for a long time if they aren't leased.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:You can get as many as you need, they will probably be in storage for a long time if they aren't leased.
Thanks! When we decide on how many we need, can you have them readied by the beginning of September?

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

They pretty much already are all ready because they were just on the road 2 weeks ago, we drained the fuel tanks though but they will be filled when ready per lease agreement standard with all leased TSCR units.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:They pretty much already are all ready because they were just on the road 2 weeks ago, we drained the fuel tanks though but they will be filled when ready per lease agreement standard with all leased TSCR units.
OK, sounds good! We'll let you know when we want them sent over.

Oh, got an empty grainer coming for you, snaking through Dubuque now. CC 7901(GP28 in its original IC paint) leading a dead TSCR 5402 (GP35, started leaking oil yesterday) and TSCR 3927 (SD70). Should be in Chicago by 4:30pm, bound for Ohio...

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Alright TSCR 5402 will be taken to the shops in Chicago, repaired and repainted. CC 7901 will also be taken off and placed on a westbound back to the CC.