Great Lakes Central Updates April 2020

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates April 2020

Unread post by ~Z~ »

AARR wrote:Thanks AANR. Were the cement cars on the head end empty?
AANscaleRunner wrote:
AARR wrote:Does anyone know why they alternate plastic pellet car / cement car for about the first 10-15 or so cars?
Weight restrictions on the Manistee River bridge. The crew kicked them out in Kalkaska.
Yes. I rewatched the video, and the headend cement cars didn't have compressed springs. The plastic pellet cars were compressed springs. Near the rear of the train, every other car appeared to be loaded, and the other half of them were empty.
So it was locomotives, then empty cement car, then loaded plastic car...repeat for a while, then rear of train had a loaded cement, then empty cement, and repeat. i can see why they want the bridge replaced :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you Z. You have very good eyes.
~Z~ wrote:Yes. I rewatched the video, and the headend cement cars didn't have compressed springs. The plastic pellet cars were compressed springs. Near the rear of the train, every other car appeared to be loaded, and the other half of them were empty. so it was locomotives, then empty cement car, then loaded plastic car...repeat for a while, then rear of train had a loaded cement, then empty cement, and repeat. i can see why they want the bridge replaced :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Why would there be both loaded and empty cement hoppers headed in the same direction. :?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There is a weight restriction over the Manistee River and placing empty cars between loaded ones allows the weight to be distributed so that less loaded cars are on the bridge at the same time
Standard Railfan wrote:Why would there be both loaded and empty cement hoppers headed in the same direction. :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

I've recently started to add longer chase videos on my YouTube channel. Here is the latest one.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you AANR. Great quality and fun to watch :D .
AANscaleRunner wrote:I've recently started to add longer chase videos on my YouTube channel. Here is the latest one.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

GLC made a Middleton run today. here I caught them EB at Pompeii.
Attachments
F0DA63A4-9AE1-4925-9653-F7BF76662AEE.jpeg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That track still looks a little rough even though they've invested in upgrades over the years
LansingRailFan wrote:GLC made a Middleton run today. here I caught them EB at Pompeii.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:That track still looks a little rough even though they've invested in upgrades over the years
LansingRailFan wrote:GLC made a Middleton run today. here I caught them EB at Pompeii.

Supposedly they will be doing some more work on it this upcoming week.

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

GLC ran to ZFS Ithaca today for 25 cars,we caught them leaving South bound at 1:45 this afternoon. Took video but not sure how to upload on here,posted on the Facebook pages though.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 0930.

Last edited by AANscaleRunner on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HESR3868
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by HESR3868 »

GLC ONTN clear Alma Northbound 11:49

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

railroader and son wrote:GLC ran to ZFS Ithaca today for 25 cars,we caught them leaving South bound at 1:45 this afternoon. Took video but not sure how to upload on here,posted on the Facebook pages though.
Is this traffic held in Owosso until added to a later southbound train, or is it immediately taken to wherever they interchange it? And is that CN, CSX, AA?

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

Steve B wrote:
railroader and son wrote:GLC ran to ZFS Ithaca today for 25 cars,we caught them leaving South bound at 1:45 this afternoon. Took video but not sure how to upload on here,posted on the Facebook pages though.
Is this traffic held in Owosso until added to a later southbound train, or is it immediately taken to wherever they interchange it? And is that CN, CSX, AA?
I'm guessing a collection of the 3? I know csx does a lot of business with them. I have been seeing grain hoppers and soy meal cars on cn 402 in Charlotte.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

KC8RBK wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I'm guessing a collection of the 3? I know csx does a lot of business with them. I have been seeing grain hoppers and soy meal cars on cn 402 in Charlotte.
GLC ships it to Howell/CSX.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

395 & 398 working the Ithaca bean plant 1707

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 0950.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 0910.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

It was posted earlier that there was a night job in Cadillac now taking care of Cadillac proper and Viking down in McBain....yet I see loads for Viking in the tuesday southbound which makes me think the road job is switching them again....has the night job been abolished??

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Buster Manning wrote:It was posted earlier that there was a night job in Cadillac now taking care of Cadillac proper and Viking down in McBain....yet I see loads for Viking in the tuesday southbound which makes me think the road job is switching them again....has the night job been abolished??
I was wondering as well, after a few weeks ago GLC came to TC late at night a few times, and then now seem to be back to their usual arriving around 11am on the days they come up here.

Also, thinking the trackwork here should resume soon...
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.