GLC Updates May 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: GLC Updates May 2018

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

GLC was running south out of Durand at 8:15pm with 395, 392 and 9 cars.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

I have not seen or heard anything in Cadillac as of 1040. Assuming they are somewhere north.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:I have not seen or heard anything in Cadillac as of 1040. Assuming they are somewhere north.
Did you hear them at about 10:40 and then nothing after that? If that's the case, I'll see it they arrive in TC about 2 hours after 10:40.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

TC Man wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:I have not seen or heard anything in Cadillac as of 1040. Assuming they are somewhere north.
Did you hear them at about 10:40 and then nothing after that? If that's the case, I'll see it they arrive in TC about 2 hours after 10:40.
Haven't heard anything all morning. There is also a good number of cement cars in town as of last night. They could have gone Elmira way also.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:
TC Man wrote:
Haven't heard anything all morning. There is also a good number of cement cars in town as of last night. They could have gone Elmira way also.
Roger that! Several weeks ago they did just that- didn't even get into TC until almost 4pm. Just went over to Beacon- they have not been there yet, followed the tracks around Boardman Lake, no sign of them into town at all yet. Assuming they have the 6-axle locos yet, want to get a shot of those here in TC, as I missed 382 last time.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

TC Man wrote: Roger that! Several weeks ago they did just that- didn't even get into TC until almost 4pm. Just went over to Beacon- they have not been there yet, followed the tracks around Boardman Lake, no sign of them into town at all yet. Assuming they have the 6-axle locos yet, want to get a shot of those here in TC, as I missed 382 last time.
Can six axles even run on the TC branch? Isn't the track too light?
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MiRailProductions wrote:
TC Man wrote: Roger that! Several weeks ago they did just that- didn't even get into TC until almost 4pm. Just went over to Beacon- they have not been there yet, followed the tracks around Boardman Lake, no sign of them into town at all yet. Assuming they have the 6-axle locos yet, want to get a shot of those here in TC, as I missed 382 last time.
It was up here a few weeks ago from what I read. I think doing the math, the weight spread over 6 axles is similar to the GP-38.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

TC Man wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:
It was up here a few weeks ago from what I read. I think doing the math, the weight spread over 6 axles is similar to the GP-38.
Alright, I guess it makes sense.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The curves might be more of an issue than the weight. If there are any sharp curves on the TC branch they might not operate the SD40's on it.
TC Man wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:The curves might be more of an issue than the weight. If there are any sharp curves on the TC branch they might not operate the SD40's on it.

[/quote]

A few weeks ago, GLC only has the SD's up north, and were in TC. No real sharp curves here to speak of- I do know thay they took two loaded center beam cars to Beacon when they switch Beacon, so assuming they did that to keep the SD's off the siding as it has a sort of short curve radius closed to the building.

Average GP-38-2= 245k lbs divided by 4 axles = 62,500 per axle.
Average SD-40-2 (unballasted)= 367,000 lbs, or 61,166lbs per axle.

Above from a Trains article discussing why Dakota Southern used 6 axles on their 60-85lb rail branch lines.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like they ran to Elmira today. 11 cement empties and 4 tanks behind Family Video in the North Yard. Gons still here in Cadillac, maybe waiting for some lumber before a TC trip? Also Narcoa has their track car run to Petoskey and TC this weekend. They are loading the rails on the north end this evening.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I was at Bay View Inn track side from 12pm till 1330, no trains today.