GLC Updates April 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GLC Updates April 2018

Unread post by AARR »

Pie is correct. It's used at the shops. I think as engine sand but also possibly for other uses (sand blasting?).
Pie39 wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:I wonder why they've got that old AA Hopper in the consist! Will they scrap it, or are they using it for sand? I also wonder why the SRI isn't using it for their photo freight, don't they have a couple hoppers just like that?
I've seen it go south through Mt. Pleasant before, I think GLC uses it for locomotive sand. It's in this video:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central south through Mount Pleasant at 16:30

GLC 382 leading
GLC 399

3 feed hoppers
1 idler flat
1 empty pole flat
1 idler flat
1 empty pole flat
1 boxcar
1 MofW flat
40 sand hoppers

49 total

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

397 and 390 returned to Cadillac at 1645 with 10 tie loads, 1 empty centerbeam, 1 pole load and 38 sand hoppers. Sand count may be off by a car or two.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AARR wrote:Pie is correct. It's used at the shops. I think as engine sand but also possibly for other uses (sand blasting?).
Pie39 wrote: I've seen it go south through Mt. Pleasant before, I think GLC uses it for locomotive sand. It's in this video:
Oh, makes sense. Thanks guys!
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Not 100 % sure, but sounded like northbound out of Cadillac at 0920. A lot of background noise in town today.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Not 100 % sure, but sounded like northbound out of Cadillac at 0920. A lot of background noise in town today.
As of 1320 they had not been on the East side of Traverse City. Anybody else see them today?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:Not 100 % sure, but sounded like northbound out of Cadillac at 0920. A lot of background noise in town today.
As of 1320 they had not been on the East side of Traverse City. Anybody else see them today?
More hoppers for scrapping and an empty gondola for loading arrived at Beacon today. They also had a loaded center beam.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:
Short video of 397 and a centerbeam on the Ann Arbor Railroad and Successors Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/theaarr ... 204641913/

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

GLC apparently picked up a CSX hopper train in Osmer on Sunday, so I look for that to move north soon. I'm not sure if those are loaded at Middleton, Shepherd, Rosebush, or interchange with MMRR in Alma, but I feel like those are Middleton cars based on the CSX rolling stock I've personally seen come and go from Middleton.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

What kind of cars does Oakley usually get?
Todd_F wrote:GLC apparently picked up a CSX hopper train in Osmer on Sunday, so I look for that to move north soon. I'm not sure if those are loaded at Middleton, Shepherd, Rosebush, or interchange with MMRR in Alma, but I feel like those are Middleton cars based on the CSX rolling stock I've personally seen come and go from Middleton.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

It went to Oakley.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

railroader and son wrote:It went to Oakley.
Good to know! I've never had the privilege of seeing/filming anything on that branch.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Todd, IIRC track speed on Oakley Branch is faster than Middleton so plan your chase accordingly
Todd_F wrote:
Good to know! I've never had the privilege of seeing/filming anything on that branch.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

AARR wrote:Todd, IIRC track speed on Oakley Branch is faster than Middleton so plan your chase accordingly
Todd_F wrote:
MUCH appreciated info. Thank you tremendously for that!

BTW, Facebookers reported a SBD move through Durand today as well.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac towards Clare at 1440. Yes...1440. Went to Yuma this morning around 0845. Heard then again in Selma Yard at 1340.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

East of m52 in Oakley I see glc power backed down a sliding to the north. Cars beyond them on the main 1608

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

AARR wrote:Todd, IIRC track speed on Oakley Branch is faster than Middleton so plan your chase accordingly
Todd_F wrote:
3 unit eb through Oakley at 1752. Coming west out of there 382 will be the leader! Wish I didn't have more work to do, I'd love to see a unit train up there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

What do you consider east bound? I think of the Oakley branch as North and South.
KC8RBK wrote:3 unit eb through Oakley at 1752. Coming west out of there 382 will be the leader! Wish I didn't have more work to do, I'd love to see a unit train up there.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Returned to Cadillac at 1755. Looks to me like they brought the Mcbain outgoing cars into Cadillac.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

AARR wrote:What do you consider east bound? I think of the Oakley branch as North and South.
KC8RBK wrote:3 unit eb through Oakley at 1752. Coming west out of there 382 will be the leader! Wish I didn't have more work to do, I'd love to see a unit train up there.
M52 is a north south hwy so considering that you should be able to draw a pretty accurate conclusion.