Great Lakes Central Updates July 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates July 2017

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Sounded like northbound out of Cadillac before 0900.
I got a report in from TC at around 1030 that the train was on the south end of town.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1020. Seeley Rd crossing.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

AANR, This is a nice location to video with the curve
AANscaleRunner wrote:Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1020. Seeley Rd.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1020. Seeley Rd crossing.

That's a nice video shot! You recommended this spot before but I can't find Seeley Rd on the map between Cadillac and McBain. Am I looking in the wrong location?
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Todd_F wrote:

That's a nice video shot! You recommended this spot before but I can't find Seeley Rd on the map between Cadillac and McBain. Am I looking in the wrong location?
I go by it all the time its on the east side of Cadillac Number 49 Rd and Seely are the same Rd, Easy way to find it is travel M55 east to Seely-Number 49 Rd go south to that grade crossing.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

penn central wrote:
Todd_F wrote:

I go by it all the time its on the east side of Cadillac Number 49 Rd and Seely are the same Rd, Easy way to find it is travel M55 east to Seely-Number 49 Rd go south to that grade crossing.
We're all 6 of those center beam cars from Traverse City, or just 4?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Thanks Penn Central! I saw 49 Rd on the map and thought it looked like a nice morning shot. I opted for Lucas as my 2nd shot after catching CSTN along the lake because I wasn't sure I could shoot 49 and Lucas on the same run. I'll definitely come up a few more times this summer/fall to catch CSTN south since the sun is perfect for most of their run to Clare!
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

TC Man wrote:We're all 6 of those center beam cars from Traverse City, or just 4?
First 2 center beams are for loading in McBain.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Todd_F wrote:Thanks Penn Central! I saw 49 Rd on the map and thought it looked like a nice morning shot. I opted for Lucas as my 2nd shot after catching CSTN along the lake because I wasn't sure I could shoot 49 and Lucas on the same run. I'll definitely come up a few more times this summer/fall to catch CSTN south since the sun is perfect for most of their run to Clare!
No problem glad to help.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central North through mount Pleasant at 10:50

GLC 398 leading
GLC 392
GLC 393

1 DUPX plastics hopper
2 ATW hoppes

3 total

Im guessing (based on the number of units) that they are either turning the power for cadillac, or picking up a grain train. If 393 comes back south, it will be leading LHF.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Have not heard or seen any action in Cadillac today. Assuming they went north.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central South through Mount Pleasant at 14:05

GLC 392
GLC 398

1 Lumber Load
1 plastics hopper
4 empty centerbeams
2 wood chip loads
10 plastics hoppers
10 tie gondolas
2 tanks
7 coke hoppers

37 total

393 did not come back south, so heads up Cadillac!

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

csx801 wrote:Great Lakes Central South through Mount Pleasant at 14:05

GLC 392
GLC 398

1 Lumber Load
1 plastics hopper
4 empty centerbeams
2 wood chip loads
10 plastics hoppers
10 tie gondolas
2 tanks
7 coke hoppers

37 total

393 did not come back south, so heads up Cadillac!
So either Cadillac now has 3 engines, or they've only had one for a while (being that 393 went up north today)?

I wonder if Beacon in TC has gotten any more cars since the 1st 2 trial cars? Or if they will continue?

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

AANscaleRunner wrote:Have not heard or seen any action in Cadillac today. Assuming they went north.
So somehow they snuck past me this morning. I must have been inside a building because 396 and 395 returned light from the south at 1505. No 393.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:Have not heard or seen any action in Cadillac today. Assuming they went north.
So somehow they snuck past me this morning. I must have been inside a building because 396 and 395 returned light from the south at 1505. No 393.
Do they leave an engine at that place that received tank cars near Clare/Farwell?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

PolyPavilion in Clare doesn't have an engine assigned to it. It's always switched by a crew/engine from Owosso or sometimes Cadillac
TC Man wrote:Do they leave an engine at that place that received tank cars near Clare/Farwell?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:PolyPavilion in Clare doesn't have an engine assigned to it. It's always switched by a crew/engine from Owosso or sometimes Cadillac
TC Man wrote:Do they leave an engine at that place that received tank cars near Clare/Farwell?
AARR- I'm actually talking about the place that gets tank cars closer to Farwell (if you look on Google Earth, the 2016 image shows 2 sidings with tank cars, and what looks like a switcher-type locomotive on one of the sidings.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That switcher has been there for a while. I don't know if it's used to switch the plant or as an end of track bumper.
TC Man wrote:
AARR wrote:PolyPavilion in Clare doesn't have an engine assigned to it. It's always switched by a crew/engine from Owosso or sometimes Cadillac
AARR- I'm actually talking about the place that gets tank cars closer to Farwell (if you look on Google Earth, the 2016 image shows 2 sidings with tank cars, and what looks like a switcher-type locomotive on one of the sidings.

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

Its an end of track bumper. NW2 #1977 exT&SBy

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Mackinac Mac wrote:Its an end of track bumper. NW2 #1977 exT&SBy
Seems like an expensive track bumper! Isn't this the same place that several years ago had some sort of derailment there involving tank cars from this business? Maybe as a result of that, it was decided to put that engine there as a bumper? May have been in the TSBY days....

Also, I noticed that in TC, the South Airport crossing for the Grawn branch has newly painted approach RR crossing markings in the payment and the white line at the crossing- this is the ONLY crossing repainted, so maybe it was done due to reactivating the line/crossing?