Great Lakes Central Updates July 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates July 2017

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

Pixl wrote:Big action by TC standards. I was told by another railfan they came thru Traverse City about the usual time of 1200. I scooted out to Williamsburg just in time to see them push four loaded centerbeams into Amerhart's siding with an empty centerbeam on the front of the 398 engine. They had used a fork lift truch to push the empty car onto the main and clear the siding. They left Amerhart back to TC about 1245. I'm going to try and catch them on the Grawn branch next.

UPDATE: I didn't get over to Beacon scrap till 1415 and the gon was gone. I caught with them at Airport rd. headed for Cadillac. I'll post some video a little later today, check back here.

GLC at Amerhart today

I caught up with the return trip to Cadillac. Here is 398, an empty centerbeam, and a loaded gon of scrap from Beacon passing under the Keystone Rd. tunnel.
The second video says it's unavailable. However, the BC Rail centerbeam is very cool!
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Sorry about the unavailability. I always struggle with youtube. I think I have it fixed, try again.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Pixl wrote:Sorry about the unavailability. I always struggle with youtube. I think I have it fixed, try again.
That happens to me sometimes also. I have to go back and make a copy of the original video to get it to show up.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:Sorry about the unavailability. I always struggle with youtube. I think I have it fixed, try again.
Still not fixed, I guess take AANScaleRunner's advice.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

MiRailProductions wrote: Still not fixed, I guess take AANScaleRunner's advice.
Ok, try this un edited version

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote: Ok, try this un edited version

There it is! That's a nice view of the loaded gondola!

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1030.

Returning to Cadillac at 1630.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heard them leave Cadillac towards Clare at 0850.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like in the first video that the clickity clack is pronounced and loud

In the 2nd video notice how there's a few cars in-between the cement car block? How does that happen? I'm presuming the cement cars are shipped in a solid block and travel as such yet when it gets to Cadillac (or maybe before) they get separated by other cars.
AANscaleRunner wrote:Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1030.
Returning to Cadillac at 1630.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great lakes central South through Mount Pleasant 15:05

GLC ???
GLC ???

10 hoppers from rosebush
1 tank
5 plastics hoppers
1 feed hopper
22 plastics hoppers! (either Clare / Petoskey had a party this weekend, or these were in storage)

39 total.

I missed both north and southbound trains yesterday. I heard them head north at 13:09. They went back south at 14:20.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

396 and 395 return to Cadillac at 1600 with 19 tie loads, 5 cement hoppers, 1 covered hopper and 1 tank.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Last I heard PolyPavilion in Clare had some favorable prices for cars and was being used to stage plastic pellet cars until they were needed for loading. From what I've read the average plastic pellet car makes about 6 revenue runs a year and the rest of the time either sits empty (until its needed to load) or loaded (until the customer needs it). I'm not sure which PP is used more for but I believe that's why they have so many cars there that don't get unloaded.
csx801 wrote:22 plastics hoppers! (either Clare / Petoskey had a party this weekend, or these were in storage).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

csx801 wrote:Great lakes central South through Mount Pleasant 15:05

GLC ???
GLC ???

10 hoppers from rosebush
1 tank
5 plastics hoppers
1 feed hopper
22 plastics hoppers! (either Clare / Petoskey had a party this weekend, or these were in storage)

39 total.

I missed both north and southbound trains yesterday. I heard them head north at 13:09. They went back south at 14:20.

There is now a line of hoppers (I think they are NMIX but not sure) sitting in Storage at Ithaca. They look fresh out of the shops. Maybe that's where the 22 hoppers are going?

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

MiRailProductions wrote:There is now a line of hoppers (I think they are NMIX but not sure) sitting in Storage at Ithaca. They look fresh out of the shops. Maybe that's where the 22 hoppers are going?
Great Lakes Central has been storing covered hoppers all over. They have a block of NKLX hoppers in Mount Pleasant with May 2017 build dates on them. They also store SULX gons too, I see those come and go almost weekly

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Assuming northbound out of Cadillac today since I have not seen or heard them.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TrainStuff13 »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Assuming northbound out of Cadillac today since I have not seen or heard them.
Do they usually run to Petoskey or just Elmira?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TrainStuff13 wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:Assuming northbound out of Cadillac today since I have not seen or heard them.
Could also be Traverse City/Williamsburg. There are 4 empty center beam cars at Amerhart to be picked up....
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TrainStuff13 »

TC Man wrote:
TrainStuff13 wrote:
Could also be Traverse City/Williamsburg. There are 4 empty center beam cars at Amerhart to be picked up....
I didn't think of that. I guess that's possible, but I assumed it would go toward Petoskey since they didn't go there yesterday. I'm staying near Traverse City now, so maybe I'll go out and see what I can find.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

[/quote]
I didn't think of that. I guess that's possible, but I assumed it would go toward Petoskey since they didn't go there yesterday. I'm staying near Traverse City now, so maybe I'll go out and see what I can find.[/quote]

I think they only go to Petoskey 1-2 times per month on average (plastic pellets transload). Elmira seems to be a couple days per week when the cement is running. Otherwise as far as Kalkaska (a trans load there for Magnum and the gas place just south of town (butane or propane?), also about 2 days per week.

Traverse City can be 1-2 days per week depending on need (Amerhart on the Williamsburg branch and Beacon Recycling on the Grawn branch). Beacon just took over Rifkin here in TC, and just started using rail (per the owner- trial basis with hopes to be regular if all goes well).
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Butane
TC Man wrote:...and the gas place just south of town (butane or propane?)