CSX TRAIN LOCATION UPDATE AUG 24 2012

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: CSX TRAIN LOCATION UPDATE AUG 24 2012

Unread post by J T »

Interesting...yard dispatcher just told the D802 crew that they may need someone "for a coal train," so call and talk to him before jumping in the cab back to West Olive.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:
Thanks for answering my pusher question.....I know some railroads used to do it on the fly - that would've been cool to see :)
I've seen pushers cut off at both Elmdale and East Saugatuck quite a few times and I've never actually witnessed a rolling cut off. However, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I don't know enough about how knuckles work to know if that's even possible. How would they open the knuckle without someone on the ground to do it (like they do in yards when they are kicking cars)?
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
Thanks for answering my pusher question.....I know some railroads used to do it on the fly - that would've been cool to see :)
I've seen pushers cut off at both Elmdale and East Saugatuck quite a few times and I've never actually witnessed a rolling cut off. However, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I don't know enough about how knuckles work to know if that's even possible. How would they open the knuckle without someone on the ground to do it (like they do in yards when they are kicking cars)?
Don't you only need one open knuckle to un-couple? One way that comes to mind is to reaach down to the side and pull the level on the unit the person is on. Although, I guess one might need to re-set the EOT.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: Thanks for answering my pusher question.....I know some railroads used to do it on the fly - that would've been cool to see :)
Conrail had the "Helper Link" on their dedicated engines that worked out of Altoona. It would relay the brake pipe pressure of the train they were shoving to the engineer. You dialed the EOT into it, and it would get the pressure reading from the EOT. No need to unhook the EOT and you could cut off on the fly with that. Outside of 'cowboying up' you're supposed to have the engines tied into the brake pipe of the train in the event of an emergency application of the brakes, or the need to slow the train using the air.

Otherwise, rules dictate that the helper engines tie in, make a full service reduction on the brake pipe, then cut out their automatic brake valve. After lacing the hoses, the crew must verify that the brakes on the helper engine set up and release when there is a reduction/release in the automatic brake on the lead locomotive. After that, they can begin their shove. When they stop, automatic brake cannot be cut back in until the angle cocks are turned to avoid an overcharge on the rear of the train.

You have to have some slack to make the knuckles open. Fully bunched or fully stretched, they won't open. Most modern locomotives have the 'loop' on the cut lever so that someone standing on the steps can pull the pin without having to reach around the side.

Practice Safe CSX

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

N956 is currently dead along Chicago Drive in Grandville/Wyoming, with the train cut at the Ivanrest crossing. The CSX pushers are still on the rear, just east of the 28th St. overpass.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Doktor No wrote: More business for the steel people in the old carshops in Wyoming coming in the next few weeks IF we can get the shipper/NS/Grand Elk to figure out the billing. The car we sat in there thursday went back and forth at least a couple of times in the past week before someone discovered it BELONGS HERE!
Just like the Standard Lumber cars that took the scenic tour of GR for days :roll:

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

L132 is coming into Rougemere.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

At 22:01 Q334 with CSX ?819 in the lead clear at M-66 Woodbury ch 116.3.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Amtrak 370 8-24-12:

CHI: 18:20 EDT [On-Time]
SJM: 20:09 EDT [6 Minutes Late]
BAM: 20:48 EDT [9 Minutes Late]
HOM: 21:32 EDT [11 Minutes Late]
GRR: 22:17 EDT [3 Minutes Early]
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Thanks, BB, that link was very interesting! Some other cool stuff on the rest of Krug's site as well 8)