Amtrak Procurement Update

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Amtrak Procurement Update

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Expect LD locomotive and Amfleet/Horizon replacements to be named in late October/Mid-November, respectively. Apparently they’re seriously looking at DMUs.

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents ... 30-18.docx
Last edited by NSSD70ACe on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Amtrak Procurement Update

Unread post by Ypsi »

Link doesn't work
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Ypsi wrote:Link doesn't work
Try it now, looks like a word got added to the end. Should download a Word document.

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Amtrak announced today the purchase of 75 new locomotives from Siemens Mobility to replace the aging P40 and P42 fleets. Delivery should begin in Summer 2021 and be completed in 2024. The new engines are expected to enter service in Fall 2021.

The trains that will be powered by these engines include the Auto Train, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Palmetto, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle.

https://media.amtrak.com/2018/12/amtrak ... comotives/

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by afleetcommand »

Those are some UGLY Locomotives! So has Cummins been a supplier for power before? How do they compare historically to EMD & GE?

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

afleetcommand wrote:Those are some UGLY Locomotives! So has Cummins been a supplier for power before? How do they compare historically to EMD & GE?
Cummins has made quite a few locomotive engines in the past. You probably wouldn't know them off hand, as their engines get placed inside other manufacturer's locomotives. In this case Siemens is the main manufacturer; and they're considered to be quite a reliable manufacturer over the pond. Here state-side they've made the ACS-64 electric locomotives on the NEC as well as the SC-44 "Charger" locomotives operating on the corridor services in the midwest as well as the Brightline high speed trains down in Florida.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group