L&N in Kentucky

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

L&N in Kentucky

Unread post by Dajudge »

Odd sighting.....
Odd sighting.....
While eating lunch in Elizabethtown yesterday saw a crew change on main line. Nothing new about such things but the two engines were RJ Corman! I wonder if they are rentals or if something bigger is happening? Isn't that CSX trackage? BTW, what model is the second engine?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: L&N in Kentucky

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like it could be the empty aluminum ingot train
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

Looking more closely the second engine looks to be a SD40 tunnel motor. I missed that earlier. It was a short train, maybe 40 or 50 empty cars. Could have been ingot cars. So does RJ Corman now own the track or do they have track right down the hill into town? I am from northern Indiana and don't know the local situation.

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

From memory: The aluminum ingots move from Novelis in Berea,Ky to Logan near Lewisburg,Ky. Loads go west, empties go east as required, always with Corman units. Novelis is switched by Corman, and the unit trains run on CSX trackage rights from Berea to Lexington, on Corman to Ancorage Jct in Louisville, and again on CSX trackage rights thru E-town to Bowling Green, then onto an other Corman line to Lewisburg.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm impressed with your memory :D . Last I heard they were making two rounds trips per week with two car sets of 40 (IIRC).
chriiis wrote:From memory: The aluminum ingots move...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

Thanks, I had to use GiggleMaps to supplement the notion. I think Novelis is new, I want to remember the pop can condenser in Berea as Reynolds (like the wrap).

AARR how old is your info on the twice per week cycling? I'm not doubting it, but the economy is up lately especially for metals.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Good question chriiis. It's at least 3 years old and maybe longer (5 or 6).
chriiis wrote:AARR how old is your info on the twice per week cycling? I'm not doubting it, but the economy is up lately especially for metals.

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

Yeah, I've only seen the ingot train a few times- 15 years ago it was parked empty on the east side of Osbourne yard in Louisville off Don Hutson Blvd.

While on the topic of Corman in Louisville, I have watched the RJ Corman sand train leave the Nugent Sand docks on River road 2 years ago in the early evening around 8pm.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nugent Sand is another good customer RJ developed. Acquired a fleet of captive gondolas, painting them bright red, and hauling a lot of sand.
chriiis wrote:While on the topic of Corman in Louisville, I have watched the RJ Corman sand train leave the Nugent Sand docks on River road 2 years ago in the early evening around 8pm.