Photo Critiques

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Photo Critiques

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

I took this yesterday. M397 westbound into Lansing. Came out a little dark so I took the shadows up to 80 and the highlights down to minimum to lighten up the nose but balance out the rest of the photo. I also added a little color vibrance to try and bring out the fall colors while trying to avoid the "cartoon" look.

Fire away, I suppose.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Photo Critiques

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Could you post the original for comparison...or at least one with all of your edits up to but excluding color correction?

Still looks a little bit too overbaked to me.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Saturnalia wrote:Could you post the original for comparison...or at least one with all of your edits up to but excluding color correction?

If by overbaked you mean the exposure is too much, then I'm not sure what to tell you. I didn't mess with the exposure settings on either the camera or in PS.

Either way, here is the original:

:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Don't add any vibrance and don't bump your saturation up much beyond 6 or 7. Also, go into the color sliders and try dialing back the yellow and green. You're definitely still going to want to brighten the shadows on the front of the engine, but maybe use the smart brush to only select the nose and brighten it seperately from the rest of the picture.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:Could you post the original for comparison...or at least one with all of your edits up to but excluding color correction?

If by overbaked you mean the exposure is too much, then I'm not sure what to tell you. I didn't mess with the exposure settings on either the camera or in PS.
I meant in general. I'd seem to think something about halfway between the original and what you have would be plenty - follow SD80MAC's ideas, he actually knows what the heck he's talking about. I'm just a critic, not a chef!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

crashton
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by crashton »

NSSD70ACe wrote:

Either way, here is the original:

I'm in agreement that you have stirred the pixels a bit much. FWIW I would bring up the shadows a bit to add some light on the nose & call it good.

Your camera will get you close, but it can & will over expose or under expose from time to time. Learning how to make the best use of the meter takes time, but once mastered you'll find you won't need as much post processing.

Keep shooting you'll get better & better. As far as post processing goes we all bake pictures a certain way. We all have different likes & dislikes. Have fun learning & thanks for sharing your pictures here. Nice job.
Chuck