Nikon 16-85 VR

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

Nikon 16-85 VR

Unread post by legostudios34 »

So I'm slowly working on replacing my Nikon kit Lenses with some better glass. I recently bought the Nikon 35 F1.8G, and I absolutely love it, but I'm also looking at getting some more zooms in my future. Primarily, I'm looking at the Nikon 16-85 VR to replace my 18-55 VR. Does anyone use this lens, and is the extra range and better glass quality worth the money? I see KEH has it for $350 with caps right now. Any opinions are appreciated.
Baxter Barnes. 21. Alabama.
Meow. Now you know how to speak cat. -Flickr

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Nikon 16-85 VR

Unread post by PatAzo »

It's a nice lens but not blow your hair back awesome. Kit lenses are often maligned but they do a decent job. As you move in lens quality the cost increases dramatically for incremental improvements in image quality. I replaced a 18-70 with a 16-85. It's a better lens but my technique in supporting the camera, composing and shooting for the light had a far greater impact than the change in lens did.

The range is nice but distortion at 16mm is noticeable. 85mm vs. 70mm I don't see a lot of difference. The VR is nice as long as the subject isn't moving. You can pick up a couple stops hand holding. If you shoot off a tripod VR doesn't do you any good.

At the mid-$300's if would be a nice lens if it's in good shape.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Nikon 16-85 VR

Unread post by railohio »

What do you want to do with it that your current lens(es) will not do? If you're not shooting poster-sized enlargements you won't really notice a difference in quality.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"