A good lens step up for a canon rebel t3??

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
LSRC_railfan22
Railroadfan...fan

A good lens step up for a canon rebel t3??

Unread post by LSRC_railfan22 »

I have a Canon rebel T3 DSLR I have the normal kit lens and the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens. I was wondering what would be a good next step up from the 55-250mm. when I do wild life shots sometimes the animals or objects are just to far away to get a good close crisp picture. I was looking at the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens but I don't think that's what I want. Suggestions would be nice thanks.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Re: A good lens step up for a canon rebel t3??

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

get some L glass. I'm a Nikon guy and even I know this.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I would say the 70-200 F/4L would work well, cheaper of the Canon L lenses, but might not have enough reach for you for wildlife: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/show ... /27/page/2

Perhaps their 35-350 3.5-5.6L would work, $1100 range: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/show ... /27/page/2
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

jkh2cpu
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jkh2cpu »

Keep in mind used equipment. Older stuff that might not work quite right can always be returned to good condition by a qualified repair shop. I doubt that lens designs change much over the years, but added 'features' such as vibration reduction are really not necessary if you are willing to use a tripod / monopod.

I don't know cr@p about Cannon Lenses having used Nikkor for the past 50 years, but I understand that stupid fleet is onto something: L Glass.

(stupid fleet? What's in a name anyway... If you're using Nikon, you cannot be stupid. You need a name update.)

My 2 cents on several matters.

John.

LSRC_railfan22
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LSRC_railfan22 »

Yeah I look at prices for lens I'm not gonna buy more any time soon. i'm not gonna pay $1,000+ for just for one lens lol Its gonna Interfere with my firearms funds lol Plus i gotta do some work on my truck too. I might get one in time just not now.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Since you have a crop sensor, for wildlife you can use this to your advantage because you can place a heck of a lot of pixel density on subject. You need a zoom lens that has at least 300mm or more to do it effectively. What is your budget? The ultimate for you would be a used 100-400L lens. However, that may be out of budget. If that's the case look at a used 70-300L and if that's still too much, go with Zack's suggestion.
Brett

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

jkh2cpu wrote:Keep in mind used equipment. Older stuff that might not work quite right can always be returned to good condition by a qualified repair shop. I doubt that lens designs change much over the years, but added 'features' such as vibration reduction are really not necessary if you are willing to use a tripod / monopod.

I don't know cr@p about Cannon Lenses having used Nikkor for the past 50 years, but I understand that stupid fleet is onto something: L Glass.

(stupid fleet? What's in a name anyway... If you're using Nikon, you cannot be stupid. You need a name update.)

My 2 cents on several matters.

John.
Lens designs change drastically over time.
Brett

mlmphotography
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mlmphotography »

Spend 80-100 bucks and pick up a Canon EF 70-210 f4 that was built in Japan (denoted by a gold JCII sticker).

I did, and that 25 year old lens runs circles around any other non 'L' Canon zoom, and is on par IQ wise to the 70-200 f4 L, which I was going to buy.

Loyd L.

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

My entire film kit right now is used equipment. The market is
awash in not too old but very good items. Loyd L. may have
been referring to this article. Take a look. http://petapixel.com/2014/09/18/old-ine ... now-about/
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311