Good repair shop in Grand Rapids?

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Good repair shop in Grand Rapids?

Unread post by CAT345C »

I think it's time to take my XSi in for a check up and my telephoto lens for some reason no longer works in auto focus and keeps shooting at F0.0 which I didn't think was possible. Anybody got a recommendation of a shop in Grand Rapids or to the north? I'm half on the fence of just buying a new DSLR but then again I don't get out as much as I used too. Stupid trains
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

jkh2cpu
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Good repair shop in Grand Rapids?

Unread post by jkh2cpu »

Back in the day, and I mean back in the day (50 years ago) Norman Camera was a good shop. I'd still try there. They have a store in GR and also in Kalamazoo.

HTH.

John.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Norman Camera on 28th St between the East Beltline and Breton. Top notch shop.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Another plug for Norman's. Great people. They'll point you in the right direction. They're located across from the Woodland Mall.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Go to Norman, or go home! :D

Mike, I think no matter where you take your camera and lens for repair, they are more than likely going to tell you that they have to "send it to Canon for repairs." If you were using an old fashioned mechanical 35mm camera, you might be in luck. But with today's digital cameras, I'm not sure there are many certified repair shops around to do anything more than a simple cleaning (sensor, for example). This is why it's good to have two camera bodies if you're taking pics on a regular basis. Sending your camera in to Canon for repair can take 6-8 weeks...or more. I sent a couple of lenses in via Normal a few years ago and I swear they were gone for a good two months each. There is a quicker way to get repairs done through Canon (a week or less), but it requires that you have a certain amount of gear and pay a yearly fee.

So I guess what I'm saying is, be prepared to be without your camera and lens for quite a long time if you do send them in.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Midwest Camera Repair in Wyandotte list themselves as a Canon authorized repair center. There is also United Camera Repair in Bensenville Il. I believe United is an ex-Kodak shop that works on most of the major brands but not as an authorized center. I had a body repaired a couple years ago and these were the closest shops I found. Read the on-line reviews and see what you think. Mine was done at APS in Chicago but they are all Nikon so that doesn't help you.

Both Midwest and United will quote standard repairs before you send the gear in. It sounds like your body is working and your just after a cleaning and check out. Their figure ought to be good. A quote for the lens would be based on assumptions on what needs to be adjusted or replaced. There is always the chance they'll find something else and the price will change. But it will give you a sense of the price range your headed into.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

The lens is the basic 75-300 that I bought as a kit with the XSi. Now I'm really leaning towards an upgrade to a new canon. Mine has had a less than glamours life

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

B&H lists the basic 75-300 for less than $200. You'd probably have half that into just getting it looked at with some level of basic maintenance service and shipping. That's if they don't need any other parts. If you are sure the problem is in the lens, it's probably a good candidate for replacement.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

There is also a Norman Camera Shop in Kalamazoo on Westnedge, a mile or so north of I-94. :)

http://www.normancamera.com/index/page/ ... e/about_us

This used to open up on a separate page, but since the Admin updated the site I don't know how to make links go to a separate page.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

For a new tab with links Right click (or on iphone hold until) and you get a drop down menu thing, "open in new tab/ page" :)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

For a new camera, I would recommend a T4i or a 60D. I love the T4i as I don't need all the other settings on the D series yet, and it is a well built camera for the price.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

TrainWatcher wrote:For a new camera, I would recommend a T4i or a 60D. I love the T4i as I don't need all the other settings on the D series yet, and it is a well built camera for the price.
What settings are you referring to?
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Yea I thought the better Canons just had more options as far as ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc etc, didn't think they had more options than a T4. I 'm leaning more towards just getting my camera cleaned right now. Its had a hard life and has never been cleaned really well.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

There's not that many differences between a T5i (T4i has been replaced), a 70D, and a 5D Mk III.

- Amount of MP
- ISO Range (T5i and 70D are the same, 5D goes all the way to 102400)
- 70D has the new Dual Pixel CMOS AF with live view
- Frame rates (70D wins)
- Amount of focus points (this to me is a big factor)
- Screen size (big deal, the 5D is 3.2 and the others are 3.0)
- 70D has wireless connectivity
- 5D has a few different formats while shooting HD video.
- Full frame with 5D
-Top shutter speed on the T5i is 1/4000, the other two are 1/8000 (is this really a factor though?)

The only other factor here is probably weight, especially when coupled with a battery grip and a big lens.

I've had the chance to use a 70D and they are very nice.

Oh, I almost forgot... the T5i and the 70D both have the touchscreen feature now.

I use these three as an example because the T5i is the top "Rebel" camera, the 70D is the better out of the 60 and the 70 (the only two now in the dual number series), and the 5D is a huge choice among the pros.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

conrailmike wrote:There's not that many differences between a T5i (T4i has been replaced), a 70D, and a 5D Mk III.

- Amount of MP
- ISO Range (T5i and 70D are the same, 5D goes all the way to 102400)
- 70D has the new Dual Pixel CMOS AF with live view
- Frame rates (70D wins)
- Amount of focus points (this to me is a big factor)
- Screen size (big deal, the 5D is 3.2 and the others are 3.0)
- 70D has wireless connectivity
- 5D has a few different formats while shooting HD video.
- Full frame with 5D
-Top shutter speed on the T5i is 1/4000, the other two are 1/8000 (is this really a factor though?)

The only other factor here is probably weight, especially when coupled with a battery grip and a big lens.

I've had the chance to use a 70D and they are very nice.

Oh, I almost forgot... the T5i and the 70D both have the touchscreen feature now.

I use these three as an example because the T5i is the top "Rebel" camera, the 70D is the better out of the 60 and the 70 (the only two now in the dual number series), and the 5D is a huge choice among the pros.
My T4i has the touch screen as well, but it got to be a hassle so I shut it off. For me it's the size. I mean a big camera body like the D series is too big and bulky for what I need. I like to be able to jump out and shoot and not have to handle the larger camera. Quality overall though is great, and I run the old SX130IS as a video cam when I use the T4i. Canon really makes a good overall product. I would like to experiment with some bigger glass. Also, I have not shot in the RAW format on the T4i yet.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

James, that is the oddest logic for not wanting a large camera, especially for someone of your stature. I could see if you were 4 feet tall with small hands where the size and weight of a camera might be a problem when "jumping out of your vehicle quickly to get a shot," but trust me, even having a 100-400 on a 5D body, agility makes no difference from a 10-22 on a 60D body once you get used to it.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »