Joe's Hobby Center out of business

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Joe's Hobby Center out of business

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Sad to see Joes Gone! I was by there probably March, and there was stuff still on the shelves! No One around, and I was by several times. Livonia Rider's only closed recently probably March-April even though it was not good for trains their other plastic models were nice. Canton Rider's had been closed for some time, I remember bout 05' somewhere in there. As a kid I remember the layout they had in the window. Whenever we went to Chucky Cheese, I always wanted to see the layout before we left. Never was big on trains, that store and Livonia, and even the Ypsi one I've been to is 50% RC stuff.

Joes had the HARD TO FIND items. And even some classic HO stuff. Nankin Hardware/Hobby on Ford Road in Westlad is ok for HO Rolling Stock, and even a few locomotives, but Merri-Seven Trains has the most stuff for all scales Z-G.

Plymouth Train Shop, myself and Chris know the owner, Dave, GREAT for the LIONEL guy in all of us. Got an Athearn HO PA B Unit Undec from him last week for $15.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I suppose you can blame the 'internet' and 'discount shops' for closing your local shop. Its consumer choice the closes a shop. If someone wants a cheaper price from an internet shop, then they sacrifice the service of their local shop.

I'm set up through a number of distributors, and can get any manner of supplies I need at a deep discount. HOWEVER, I spend more money now at my local shop, then I did before I got into the business myself. Simply put, availability and speed. If my LHS has what I need, I get it right then. No need to call a salesperson, put the order in, pay for shipping ,wait, etc.

I tried a few of those 'discount' shops online, and most either never delievered, or were out of business within a few months. You can't offer 25-35% discount on items and expect to remain in business for long. Eventually you need a profit to keep new stock coming into your store. Only getting 5% markup doesn't keep you in business long.

Practice Safe CSX

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

The rider in ypsi actually just expanded from so much business. they lag in the HO scale rolling stock though.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I was just in Joes a couple weeks ago. It must have closed very recently. And yes, the heat was off......all winter.

As for Great Lakes Hobby in Utica, did they move? I was by there a couple months ago, and the store was empty, on Van Dyke.
I hate to see the hobby shops close, but everything is MSRP in most of them. And if I can save $50 on a loco, guess where I'm buying it. Joes had a couple Atlas DTSL GP-7s, for $129.00 each. I got them from Toy Train Heaven, on a closeout for $69.00 each. Saved $120 on two, plus about $15.00 in sales tax.

Still, the IRS should have given Joes a "Geithner waiver", on the back taxes. :roll:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

As for Great Lakes Hobby in Utica, did they move? I was by there a couple months ago, and the store was empty, on Van Dyke.
They moved about a year ago sough about a mile to the corner of Van Dyke and Utica Rd. The owner purchased his own building.

BTW - All the hobby stores closing is Obama's fault :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Thanks. I'll get by there, next time I'm in the area.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

jhagen
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jhagen »

Does anyone have any contact information for the owner of Joe's Hobby Center? His last name? He was working on a pre-war american flyer engine for me and now the store is closed and I have not heard from him nor have I gotten my train back.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

I know a guy who used to work at the Hobby Hub in Lansing, I'll have him check with the old owner, and see if he knew Joe, can't guarantee anything. Those old "AF's" were something!
Fred

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

jhagen,
No luck. Good luck with your old American Flyer. The sad part is whatever inventory was left, usually goes up for auction as a whole "lot" to the highest bidder. Hopefully Joe kept the loco aside, having too much else going on, and will return it to you. Above & beyond the bad news, welcome to the board!

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

jhagen-

I believe the name you're looking for is Mark Lendzion.
-Fritz Milhaupt

jhagen
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jhagen »

Thanks to all that helped. Met with the owner this morning and have gotten my son's American Flyer back.

Thanks again.

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

jhagen wrote:Thanks to all that helped. Met with the owner this morning and have gotten my son's American Flyer back.

Thanks again.
Nice to hear, those old American Flyers were CLASSIC! It'b be great if he could get back into the hobby biz again, but nowadays, you start out with 2 strikes against you, and in this economy...Suicide!
Fred