tri cities railfan spots

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

tri cities railfan spots

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

what are some good railfan spots in sag and baycity

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

If someone can answer that question or mine, I would appreciate it. When does the HESR typically leave Midland for Durand and does it travel on the line to Bay City, then south to Saginaw, or does it go on the line that parallels M-47.

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

ihave seen the durand train in geenasee yard about 10am - 1pm

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

trainjunkie I have caught the train returning from Midland a few times just east of the I-75 overpass around 08:00.They are taveling at a snails pace so it's not too hard to see them aways down the track. Other people posted seeing them around 05:00.To answer Astrovan's question HESR's 800 job sometimes tyes up early in the morning at Towerline rd. and starts their day around 09:00. HESR's 702 job can be caught sometime in the late morning on Carrollton rd.SBS seems to have something rolling all the time. A scanner is somewhat helpful around the area.

SDavey
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by SDavey »

Huron and Eastern
702 – Departs on weekdays from Wenona Yard at 10AM for the trip to Durand. Will arrive in Durand between 2-3PM most days.

703 – Departs Bay City for Midland in the late evening hours weekdays usually between 10-12pm. It usually arrives back into Bay City around 6am.

740 – Departs Bay City before the 702 usually between 8-9am. It works local industries, and will interchange with the SBS at Saginaw Yard as needed.

800 – Works west into Saginaw in the morning and switches local industries, pulls interchange cars into the SBS Yard, and travels over to the Genesee Yard with cars bound for the old CMGN into Bay City or Durand. 740 will pickup cars from them and bring them to Bay City. 702 brings them to Durand the next day.

Lake State / Saginaw Bay Southern
Z126 – This is the Bay City job it will arrive in Bay City from Saginaw between 9-10am. It will work local industries and go to the Lake State Yard to pickup/setout cars. The amount of time spent in Bay City varies by the amount of work needed that day.

Z127- this is the train to Flint. Most days it will start the process of building its train in the yard between 4-5pm, and depart south between 6-7pm. It will sometimes have run-through power from CSX, but from personal observations is that this isn’t as common as it once was. Sometimes trains will leave to head south around noon depending on the amount of traffic and crew availably. They will often use the engines off Z126 on this train after they arrive back from Bay City.

Z145 – Midland Job. They will depart from Saginaw between 7-8am most days, and return from Midland by 12-1PM.

Paines Job – I have seen this job depart from Saginaw Yard at various times so I guess it varies. It will interchange with the MMRR at Paines and bring cars back from there. This train has a lot of grain on it most days.

301 – Bay City Switcher: They will work around Bay City switching and whatnot. They will usually work Wenona Yard before 701 arrives back in Bay City, and after 702 departs for Durand. They also do a lot of work in the Kawkawlin area near Specification Stone.

The northbound run for LSRC will leave in the early evening hours from Wenona Yard after they work there. It will usually stop in Linwood or Pinconning and recieve a new crew as the crew on 301 takes it north from Wenona.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Thanks for the great info.

Bluewaterfan
Pullman Fan

Re: tri cities railfan spots

Unread post by Bluewaterfan »

astrovanman1989 wrote:what are some good railfan spots in sag and baycity
Saginaw:

The only place I can think of at this time is near Zilwaukee. Follow S Westervelt Rd. that parallels the Huron and Eastern (former Central Michigan) Railway. The road changes into Carrollton Rd. It goes to the crossover of Saginaw Bay Southern and The Huron and Eastern.

Bay City:
There are several good sites including

Essexville Park and Foss Yard (thought now one entrance is now blocked off. for reasons why, PM me.) Both are along Woodside Ave in Essexville

Defoe Park has the HESR and Lake State going through it. Almost under Liberty Bridge is Buoy 18 where you can have a ice cream and watch the HESR.

Wenona Yard has an area just before the crossing on Wilder rd where you can stop and watch trains

I'll add more as I think of them.
One can make a mistake and own up to it, but still feel guilty.
~~anonymous