Traffic on NS Chicago line & B&O ?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Traffic on NS Chicago line & B&O ?

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

I'm thinking about a day trip to the Waterloo, Butler, Auburn & Garrett area.

Its been a few years since I have been down that way. I know nothing is certain, but are there trends as to which line might be busier different times of day?

Most likely looking at mid morning to dusk. Tuesday or Wednesday.

Looks like NS dispatcher is on 160.620 and CSX on 161.370? Are there 2nd road channels that they call signals on?

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Traffic on NS Chicago line & B&O ?

Unread post by cbehr91 »

The Chicago Line tends to be busier at night and early in the morning. During that timeframe CSX would be busier, but that's not to say the Chicago Line would be totally dead.

The NS road channel from Toledo to Elkhart is 160.800. 160.620 is not used on the Chicago Line until Elkhart going west toward Porter. The road channel for the other NS line through Butler is 160.380. There is no 2nd frequency for either one.

The CSX frequencies for the Garrett Sub are 160.230 (road) and 161.370 (east) and 160.290 (west) for the dispatcher. Trains will call signals and you'll hear detectors only on the road channel. The dispatcher frequency changes around Cromwell I think.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Traffic on NS Chicago line & B&O ?

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Thanks.

I ended up going down there yesterday and that all matched up pretty well.