Train Schedules...Looking for best times to find trains

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Train Schedules...Looking for best times to find trains

Unread post by afleetcommand »

The two local freight services / smaller short lines are the "Finger Lakes" Rail Road and "NYS&W", looking to get an idea if folks know their probable times of operation. From what I've seen on the NYS&W, Tuesdays and Thursdays late after noon they seem to be headed south through Cortland County, used to see them coming through Homer as I was driving the plow truck back into the shops late afternoon. They have a pretty cool older EMD roster and I like those "Yellow" SD-40-2's and 60's they have. There are places along that route where the natural back ground makes for just picture perfect opportunities for video...across rivers and with scenic hills for back drops. Think the camera will be with me while fishing this year...

The Finger Lakes's Rail Road is the one I would really like to get some video of. They still have the older Alcos on their roster & some video footage would be nice before they too are scrapped. I've seen them occasionally in Auburn New York as the tracks go right by "Bass Pro" on the western side of town. They also interestingly enough are painted as the old New York Central was...maybe aspirations??

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Re: Train Schedules...Looking for best times to find trains

Unread post by LSRC »

I cannot speak to the Susie Q, but the Finger Lakes has several jobs running out of Geneva. I checked in at their offices back in 2015, and they were friendly and accommodating. Unsure if attitudes have soured over time. They no longer have any Alcos on the roster. Maybe you're thinking of the old GE U-boats on the roster? The throaty, 4-stroke engines are similar to Alcos.

https://www.thedieselshop.us/FGLK.HTML