CSX between Columbus and Kentucky Questions

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

CSX between Columbus and Kentucky Questions

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I was just curious if anyone could tell me how busy the CSX line (don't know the subdivision name) south out of Columbus, OH to Kentucky via Chillicothe is? Also is it primarily coal coming out of Appalachia or does it see other varieties as well like intermodal, oil, etc.?

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX between Columbus and Kentucky Questions

Unread post by Toppysager »

Not sure exactly how busy it is, but I don't believe there is any auto or intermodal service anymore. Q135 and Q136 used to run this way, but now run to Portsmouth via the B&O. Can't imagine it being any busier than 10 or 15 a day as it appears to be mostly coal/ grain traffic and the Q308 turn
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Toppysager wrote:Not sure exactly how busy it is, but I don't believe there is any auto or intermodal service anymore. Q135 and Q136 used to run this way, but now run to Portsmouth via the B&O. Can't imagine it being any busier than 10 or 15 a day as it appears to be mostly coal/ grain traffic and the Q308 turn
Ahh ok, thanks for the info!

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

The Northern Subdivision which runs between these two points can see 10-15 trains daily depending on heavy grain, cement,frac sand, and other commodity bulk trains are scheduled to run that day. There is a Parsons to Russell turn that switches the South Columbus industries, Chillicothe traffic from the local and off the South Central Ohio Railroad that runs to Jackson, Wellston, and Oak Hill. And that is it on the Ohio side, On the Kentucky side its a different story with more industries.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

arty flowers wrote:The Northern Subdivision which runs between these two points can see 10-15 trains daily depending on heavy grain, cement,frac sand, and other commodity bulk trains are scheduled to run that day. There is a Parsons to Russell turn that switches the South Columbus industries, Chillicothe traffic from the local and off the South Central Ohio Railroad that runs to Jackson, Wellston, and Oak Hill. And that is it on the Ohio side, On the Kentucky side its a different story with more industries.
Interesting, that's a lot of unit train traffic! Do you by any chance also know the train count on the NS line that parallels the CSX between Columbus and Kentucky?

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

Well for starters coal traffic down significantly but the line can still see 1-4 movements a day down from 6-10 a day in the 90s. But other bulk commodities are filling the void, NS sees 10-15 trains on the Portsmouth side