NS 25 - M

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

NS 25 - M

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Anyone ever heard of the train before ? What I know, N/B on the Detroit line. 1 NS engine a lot of empty inter-modal equipment. Changed crews at Waterman . CP crew gets on board and heads for the tunnel :shock: . I have been working at Delray for about 18 months ( and counting ) and have not encountered this arrangement before. Anyone heard anything about this ? Thank you for any input.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS 25 - M

Unread post by hoborich »

Sounds like CP needed some intermodal equipment. Train was handed off to them. Might be coming back with some special loads. Just guessing.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Probably irrelevant, but last night on the Chesterton Railcam, I saw an NS train going west, with around 100 empty intermodal cars. Some were flats, some were the old well cars and some were trailer flats with the pedestals up. But all were empty. Sounds like they are moving intermodel cars around where they might be needed, or into storage.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

hoborich wrote:Probably irrelevant, but last night on the Chesterton Railcam, I saw an NS train going west, with around 100 empty intermodal cars. Some were flats, some were the old well cars and some were trailer flats with the pedestals up. But all were empty. Sounds like they are moving intermodel cars around where they might be needed, or into storage.
Intermodal is notoriously fussy about being in high demand some days of the week and slack in others. It fluctuates a lot. Therefore they get to spend a lot of time and money running empty equipment around.

Granted, intermodal equipment has some of the best utilization figures anywhere. Anything unit-train related can't really ever exceed 50% utilization basically by definition - loaded one way, empty the other.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow