CSX Locomotive Roster News, Updates & Information Thread

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: CSX Locomotive Roster News, Updates & Information Thread

Unread post by David Collins »

BL2-1843 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:26 pm
Photos of the latest CSX heritage unit appeared this morning. CSXT 1836, RF&P. It would be neat to one day see this unit side by side with the RF&P nose painted unit 6394.
Makes up for the NYC debacle, being an RF&P fan I think it looks great.
Attachments
IMG_6954.jpeg
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Pylon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pylon »

Wabtec and CSX agree to modernize over 200 more AC4400CW's.
https://ir.wabteccorp.com/news-releases ... ocomotives

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Any updates on the YN2 count as of the beginning of the year?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

MQT1223 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:16 pm

There are currently 316 units in YN2. Quite a fair amount more already at Erie for rebuild. 121 of these are older GE's now all stored perhaps never to return, leaving around 180 YN2 units still operation.

On a side note, the latest CSX heritage unit, Family Lines 1972, former 3057 came out yesterday looking absolutely fantastic despite the fact so many die hard individuals will never say anything good about any of them because the "entire" unit is not all heritage.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

BL2-1843 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:45 am
MQT1223 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:16 pm

There are currently 316 units in YN2. Quite a fair amount more already at Erie for rebuild. 121 of these are older GE's now all stored perhaps never to return, leaving around 180 YN2 units still operation.

On a side note, the latest CSX heritage unit, Family Lines 1972, former 3057 came out yesterday looking absolutely fantastic despite the fact so many die hard individuals will never say anything good about any of them because the "entire" unit is not all heritage.
I go out for the YN2 units now... at this point it's worth getting them as that era on CSX comes to a close. While some Dash 8's will no doubt go to scrap in the same paint they were delivered in, I am surprised CSX has not sent the Dash 9's to be rebuilt into AC4400's like NS and UP have been with their DC powered locomotives. Sure its not many but those Dash 9's sit in storage more often then not.

I'd wager YN2 EMD's can be counted on either one or two hands at this point? At least one of the YN2 Geeps out there recently had its faded and rusty nose touched up so its looking rather fresh these days.

On an unrelated note does anyone know how many GP40's CSX is rebuilding right now? A few have come back in fresh paint but they are keeping the original cabs so no more square cabs going forward. Curious if any GP38's or GP39's are slated for rebuilds or if its only the GP40's due to their age. (Not putting "-2" next to everything since it should be obvious that there are only "-2" or "-3" engines on the roster at this point.)

I really like the concept of their heritage units. Yeah some of them have their flaws but the idea is original and I dig it. Either the WM or PM heritage is next to come out of the booth.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

CSX apparently threw one of the new SD23T4’s on the front of a loaded coal train. Results are not known…but I’ve heard they’re absolute piles of garbage, so it probably didn’t go well.

Pylon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pylon »

YN2 leaders are pretty common on the ACSES-required lines on the Northeast (in New York on the Hudson Line east of the river, around NYC, and in Massachusetts and southern Maine), as several of the upper 400-series AC4400CW's (which are pretty much the only ACSES PTC-equipped road engines) are still in their original YN2 liveries.

IIRC the CSX Dash 9's are built on Dash 8 trucks and frames, and I believe the frames are shorter than most Dash 9's. That might prevent an AC rebuild.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Pylon wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:55 am
YN2 leaders are pretty common on the ACSES-required lines on the Northeast (in New York on the Hudson Line east of the river, around NYC, and in Massachusetts and southern Maine), as several of the upper 400-series AC4400CW's (which are pretty much the only ACSES PTC-equipped road engines) are still in their original YN2 liveries.

IIRC the CSX Dash 9's are built on Dash 8 trucks and frames, and I believe the frames are shorter than most Dash 9's. That might prevent an AC rebuild.
CSX’s Dash9s are also few in number. Wouldn’t move the needle in the way the rebuilds for NS and BNSF would, which each had hundreds of copies of the C44-9W.

Personally, and this is sort of off topic, I am wondering what UP plans to do with their 1300 SD70Ms. They’ve already retired a bunch but it’s a huge aging fleet potentially ripe for rebuild and/or conversion.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

David Collins wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:36 pm
CSX apparently threw one of the new SD23T4’s on the front of a loaded coal train. Results are not known…but I’ve heard they’re absolute piles of garbage, so it probably didn’t go well.
It never does seem to go well when companies try to mesh one's powertrain to another's frame. Thinking back as far as CNW's SD45 Cat rebuild, they usually end up in the junk yard with all the other oddities.
Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:48 am
Personally, and this is sort of off topic, I am wondering what UP plans to do with their 1300 SD70Ms. They’ve already retired a bunch but it’s a huge aging fleet potentially ripe for rebuild and/or conversion.
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/851029/
I believe a number of them have been rebuilt in-house such as these two pulling their OCS special (far cry from the Es or the steam we once saw) but I don't think there is any outward indication other than a fresh coat of paint.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Wonder how those SD23'S would work out, if there were more of them, and they were kept in a dedicated consist. Like an old Baldwin-- they won't work with other locos, but have an entire lash- up of Baldwins, and they would pull anything. And, use alot less fuel.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

David Collins wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:36 pm
It went fine, and they seem to be decent locomotives.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

ConrailDash8 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:59 am
CSXT 5282 (ES40DC) has received YN3c treatment per CSX Equipment Updates group
5282 struck a downed fallen tree across the tracks less than two weeks after being painted causing severe damage to the nose and all long the fireman's (conductors) side of the unit. Currently back in Huntington.

Meanwhile, 5480 is the latest new YN3c repaint. 4580 has also been repainted YN3c and was the last of the 4500 series in the 4525-4589 group to be rebuilt.

ConrailDash8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDash8 »

CSXT 5405 (ES40DC) has received YN3C treatment, currently on X217 at CP 10 at 2048 hours.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

This may seem like a stupid question: with CSX doing the GP40-3 rebuild and leaving the original cab on, is it possible that the SD40-3 rebuild program comes back with the same concept that is being used on the geeps (same cab, newer tech, etc)? Or is the SD23 or ET23 or whatever it’s called the path forward for the SD40’s?

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

WM Heritage Unit is out
Ironically bad at Small Talk :(

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Talk wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:23 pm
WM Heritage Unit is out
Attachments
IMG_8491.jpeg

Blaze06
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Blaze06 »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:04 pm
Talk wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:23 pm
WM Heritage Unit is out
Good point. I did not realize it looked like the Texas Flag lol! I could’ve sworn in a CSX concept art there was going to be black on the top but either way I like this one! Also the marks the completion of the three main Chessie component heritage units! Now where is that EXTREMELY delayed Clinchfield HU (and also the Pere Marquette) lol
Here’s my channel! Take a look if you want! 8)
https://youtube.com/channel/UCu8Qs-E8QInEwg-Po4zXLmQ

And just for the hell of it my Flickr page!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/197054142@N06/

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

5466 is another new YN3c repaint. Am surprised no one has said anything about the new multicolored CSX hydrogen unit 2100.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/csx-t ... locomotive

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

BL2-1843 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:40 am
Apparently, CSX is having at least ten of the former GP40-2 mother slug set units rebuilt to GP40-3 status but retaining their original cabs. Saw a photo of 6563 at Metro East in fresh YN3c paint, which would be the former 6417. Other core units for theses rebuild are 6423,6463,6477,6484,6485,6488, 6912,6922 and 6930. All ten have been in long term storage at various locations for a number of years. Some cores had been split apart from their slugs for years, others are "new" split aparts as they were last seen in storage lines still attached.
Had to dig to find this post. I caught #6567 on L310 tonight and chased it. I assume these units GP40-3 tech that the squarecab units were given, but without the squarecab?