CSX Endangered Locomotives List

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Re: CSX Endangered Locomotives List

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

gvtfan wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:Better add all the CSX 'true' AC6000's on that list. They'll be cycling through to get their 6000 hp prime movers removed for the Evolution series 4400 hp engine like the 5200-5500's have.

I love those engines...they didn't sound like a locomotive when they went by, they sounded like a jet.

Practice Safe CSX
They will keep their 6,000 HP prime movers, and from talking to other railfans that have seen them recently, they sound the same and have retained their paint.
So who are you going to believe? Railfans who heard from their railfan friends or a CSX conductor who may actually know a thing or two?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

gvtfan wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:Better add all the CSX 'true' AC6000's on that list. They'll be cycling through to get their 6000 hp prime movers removed for the Evolution series 4400 hp engine like the 5200-5500's have.

I love those engines...they didn't sound like a locomotive when they went by, they sounded like a jet.

Practice Safe CSX
They will keep their 6,000 HP prime movers, and from talking to other railfans that have seen them recently, they sound the same and have retained their paint.

Nuff said...
Bottom text.

gvtfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gvtfan »

Mr. Tops wrote:
gvtfan wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
So who are you going to believe? Railfans who heard from their railfan friends or a CSX conductor who may actually know a thing or two?
I hate to sound like an idiot that is bragging about his contacts, but the source I have heard from got the information from a CSX conductor based out of Buffalo ny. If someone would like a name, PM me. Anyway, I have seen this 1st hand and heard of others that have seen them with their new 6000 HP motors.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

gvtfan wrote:I hate to sound like an idiot that is bragging about his contacts, but the source I have heard from got the information from a CSX conductor based out of Buffalo ny. If someone would like a name, PM me. Anyway, I have seen this 1st hand and heard of others that have seen them with their new 6000 HP motors.
All of your information is inconsequential. The fact that your friend heard it from a CSX conductor means the story has already gone through two people before appearing on my screen. Ever heard of the game "telephone"? I don't care about the conductors name. If you told me, that would not change one thing...mostly due to the fact that chances are 99.9% that I don't know him. How can you believe someone you don't know?

The fact that you've actually seen these new 6000 HP motors doesn't make me feel any more confidant either. This is the first I've heard of new 6000 HP motors. Looking on the GE website, I can't find anywhere where they are offering a 6000 HP motor in North America. The CSX downgrade of their problematic AC6000CWs is similar to what UP did to theirs. UP now calls theirs "C44/60AC" as they downgraded them to 4400 HP.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I read in either Trains or Railfan & Railroad recently that GE was indeed working on a new 6,000 HP 16 cylinder GEVO prime mover, of course over the years I've come not to trust information like that from railfan magazines.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Conrail Jon wrote:I read in either Trains or Railfan & Railroad recently that GE was indeed working on a new 6,000 HP 16 cylinder GEVO prime mover, of course over the years I've come not to trust information like that from railfan magazines.
Never read anything about that in Trains, so I'm guessing it was in RF&RR.
Bottom text.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I heard the AC6000's were getting 4400 HP Evolution Series prime movers from CSX's Director of Motive Power. Can't get any higher than that.

The HDL's they have drink too much fuel for the additional HP gained. Granted this has been 8 months ago, so GE may be offering CSX a 6000 HP Evolution Series alternative, but with the recent push to keep fuel costs down (derating locomotives) doesn't seem practical to introduce a new line of prime movers when you're trying to standardize a fleet. Of course, CSX may wish to keep the 6000 hp because that's what they paid for when they purchased them. I suppose time will tell, but the railroads have spoken with their wallets, and 4000 to 4400 seems to fit the bill better than 6000 hp. My guess is they will be dropped down to 4400 hp and be like the CEFX SD45's outside, but an SD40-2 inside (cept an ES44AC inside).

Despite the problems with them, still my favorite engine to run and listen too. Only engine I've ever been on that could completely stop a train with dynamic brakes alone.

In addition, it appears that 99% of the AC6000's are in storage between Cumberland and Waycross, with most having been out of service since the first quarter. A handful made it to November, but it appears are getting sidelined when their Q inspections come due. The most recent movements I saw were before Thanksgiving, with those units tagged as "OOS" after their arrival in Waycross.

Practice Safe CSX

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote: So who are you going to believe? Railfans who heard from their railfan friends or a CSX conductor who may actually know a thing or two?
BTW, please add Engineer and Yardmaster to that list of qualifications, I'm becoming a jack of all trades. Not to steal a phrase, "I hate to sound like an idiot that is bragging about his contacts," but I've personally shook hands with Ward, David Brown, and heard Munioz, Fitzsimmons, and Mancini (that should pretty much cover the board of directors, sans for Clarence Gooden who was with Ingram at a Customer visit this particular day) give personal talks to my development group. Also heard AVP's of just about every department give speeches on what their departments are doing, in addition to other high level managers.

So, yeah, I may know a thing or two. Don't pretend to know everything, as there is a lot of stuff out there that most employee's aren't privy to. I'm finding that out more and more everyday.

Practice Safe CSX

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

CSX_CO wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote: So who are you going to believe? Railfans who heard from their railfan friends or a CSX conductor who may actually know a thing or two?
BTW, please add Engineer and Yardmaster to that list of qualifications, I'm becoming a jack of all trades. Not to steal a phrase, "I hate to sound like an idiot that is bragging about his contacts," but I've personally shook hands with Ward, David Brown, and heard Munioz, Fitzsimmons, and Mancini (that should pretty much cover the board of directors, sans for Clarence Gooden who was with Ingram at a Customer visit this particular day) give personal talks to my development group. Also heard AVP's of just about every department give speeches on what their departments are doing, in addition to other high level managers.

So, yeah, I may know a thing or two. Don't pretend to know everything, as there is a lot of stuff out there that most employee's aren't privy to. I'm finding that out more and more everyday.

Practice Safe CSX
My apologies. I will make you proud next time. :) I knew you were, just didn't think to add it; you need to update your screen name to CSX_CO_ENG_YM :lol:

gvtfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gvtfan »

Conrail Jon wrote:I read in either Trains or Railfan & Railroad recently that GE was indeed working on a new 6,000 HP 16 cylinder GEVO prime mover, of course over the years I've come not to trust information like that from railfan magazines.
It was in the Locomotive 2009 trains special issue. I would have made reference earlier, but I just got mine a couple days ago.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Changes made to reflect the recent B30-7/B36-7 deletions.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CSXT 7303 and CSXT 7490 both continue to sport Conrail colors.

Bottom text.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Wrong thread maybe? I think this would be a better fit in the Pre-YN2 thread as C40s aren't exactly endangered units :wink: :P

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Oops... looks like my post count gets a boost! :P
Bottom text.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Mine too. Thanks. :P In all fairness, Conrail paint is endangered...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I was just going to say the same thing. Great minds think alike! It must be the cats...
Bottom text.