Longer trains

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Longer trains

Unread post by GLC 392 »

GLC will start to haul longer trains. These longer trains will come from a exta 4000 cars of sand a year out of yuma. They will be using AOK hoppers ex-CNW to haul the sand. They will be getting 400 of the cars, there are about 25-40 sitting in owosso right now.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

4,000 = 16 per day, cool :!: :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NWRail »

And watch for some action on the railbanked track in Grawn very soon! Hint- steel wheels on steel rails.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Freight business or excursions?
And watch for some action on the railbanked track in Grawn very soon! Hint- steel wheels on steel rails.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

NWRail wrote:And watch for some action on the railbanked track in Grawn very soon! Hint- steel wheels on steel rails.
To where? The tracks end a little ways past CG. Between the end of the line and CG, there really isn't anything, right?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

To where? The tracks end a little ways past CG. Between the end of the line and CG, there really isn't anything, right?
The tracks go beyond Cherry Growers approximately 1 mile or so. At the very end is a Amerigas local dealer. Inbetween is area zoned commercial but I don't think there's any industries there. That's why I asked if its freight or passenger because steel wheels on steel rails could be either...of forbid it's a train to pull up the rails :shock:

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NWRail »

Tracks go 1.1 miles past Cherry Growers, in case you were counting. Car storage. Well, at least someone can get pics of the first movement on that line since the late 80's (when we stored about 40 exAA reefers on the section).

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

NWRail wrote:Tracks go 1.1 miles past Cherry Growers, in case you were counting. Car storage. Well, at least someone can get pics of the first movement on that line since the late 80's (when we stored about 40 exAA reefers on the section).
Ok. I figured it was just car storage, but I wanted to make sure before speculating. I was up there last year and didn't see any businesses between CG and the end of the line.

It pretty much all looked like this:

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I'm looking forward to long trains to Yuma.
The old AA in Wexford County is some of the most casual and scenic train chasing in the entire state.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks NWRail. I thought of car storage last night.

Are you sure those were AA Refrigerator cars in the 80's. I recall DT&I 50' double plug door box cars, but not refrigerator cars?

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Reefers

Unread post by NWRail »

They were reefers. The only one surviving on the GLC is #2004 (with the cooling equipment removed).

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Ok - thanks NWRail.

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NWRail »

Don, you are probably thinking about the DTI double door box cars stored in North Yard in Cadillac.

Most all of the reefers were cut up in Clare (Farwell, actually) at the now-closed scrap yard on the old C&O.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Re: Longer trains

Unread post by i995impalass »

GLC 392 wrote:GLC will start to haul longer trains. These longer trains will come from a exta 4000 cars of sand a year out of yuma. They will be using AOK hoppers ex-CNW to haul the sand. They will be getting 400 of the cars, there are about 25-40 sitting in owosso right now.
Where are these cars heading to again?

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

all over the place i was told.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

What kinda sand they hauling out of there?

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NWRail »

Casting sand for the most part. FYI, the 4000 additional cars is old news. Overall, not much of an increase to be seen, as sand to other customers has been down quite a bit. Also, they tell us 9-10 years of sand left to mine there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Don, you are probably thinking about the DTI double door box cars stored in North Yard in Cadillac.
Yes, that's what I remember. Thanks.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Casting sand for the most part. FYI, the 4000 additional cars is old news. Overall, not much of an increase to be seen, as sand to other customers has been down quite a bit. Also, they tell us 9-10 years of sand left to mine there.
Darn. From observation, which may be way off, it seems Wexford ships about 20-30 cars a week these days. Was looking forward to an increase...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Thats what they were saying about the Empire mine about 9 years ago that they would only have about 10 years left, and now they are beating the record almost every year, so we shall see about the sand.