NS to be Taken Over by CP?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: NS to be Taken Over by CP?

Unread post by CSX_CO »

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Perfect. Best not to regurgitate others opinions/ information and claim them as your own.

I do maintain however, that it is the opinion of Ackman and that he obviously is trying to get this deal done. Just something to keep in mind. He does raise some good points in that Toronto star article.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

ConrailMan5 wrote:Perfect. Best not to regurgitate others opinions/ information and claim them as your own.
I'm sure Russ isn't just copying the opinion. You can hold the same opinion as somebody else without citing them! The link is just backing his opinion up with established thought. Not that speculation is really something you need established thought to support your argument.

Can tell you're a college man...cite, cite, cite. :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

ConrailMan5 wrote:
Perfect. Best not to regurgitate others opinions/ information and claim them as your own.

I do maintain however, that it is the opinion of Ackman and that he obviously is trying to get this deal done. Just something to keep in mind. He does raise some good points in that Toronto star article.
So now your accusing me of plagerism? First, everything is just speculation. Now, we're just regurgitating other information. Jesus Christ. What is it with you? I hope you read the thread I sent you the link to. The guy is following a script of exactly how he took over CP. it's how every corporate raider works. It's not hard to connect the dots, but I guess since I Was connecting the dots made by someone else, and having watched one work at my dads employer, but yeah I'm just plagerizing someone.

This is a great site, but accusing someone of plagerism when it's just business background, industry knowledge, and reading people. Then we wonder why the chat is dead, only a few people post, etc.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

I have no doubt that in the end, CP will gain control over NS to some extent.

As a secondary question, suppose CP gains control over NS and the STB is cool with everything. How does this change competition between a CP/NS system with CSX vs. the current competition with NS?
Brett

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailMan5 wrote:

I don't think he was claiming anything as his own. In fact, he went out of his way to say that it WASN'T his own thinking entirely to show the claims were legitimate. And that is perfectly fine on a discussion board.
Brett

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Come on guys, keep personal issues out of it!

Neither CRMan5 or CSX CO has done what the opposite alleges. Y'all need to stop overcharging the rebuttals :idea:

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

While you guys were at each other, the big dogs at CP are mounting a hostile take over.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

The sage of Avon Yard! Russ was right! The NS board has caved to the pressure of Ackman and Co!

Norfolk Southern Accepts Canadian Pacific Merger Deal | CNN

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Saturnalia wrote:The sage of Avon Yard! Russ was right! The NS board has caved to the pressure of Ackman and Co!

That's about as real as Caitlyn Jenner
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Saturnalia wrote:The sage of Avon Yard! Russ was right! The NS board has caved to the pressure of Ackman and Co!

Please don't poke or trick the animals. We do not like to be confused and may bite when startled.

For best care, feed us daily, fill our water bowl, and paint GEVOs in heritage schemes.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AMTK55 wrote:

That's about as real as Caitlyn Jenner
You're in denial already! #HarrisonforNS

Why do all the foamers hate Harrison?

Oh wait, cuz he doesn't favor tea kettles. I remembers now.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Bloomberg.com called EHH "The greatest railroader of all time". Thanks to that writer I spit out my coffee and laughed for a whole minute or so
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AMTK55 wrote:Bloomberg.com called EHH "The greatest railroader of all time". Thanks to that writer I spit out my coffee and laughed for a whole minute or so
Are you kidding? Harrison is uniting a transcontinental American Empire: something Vanderbilt and Gould failed to do! EHH is transcendent upon this industry, and transformational figure soon to be known as "The 21st Century Vanderbilt"

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AMTK55 wrote:Bloomberg.com called EHH "The greatest railroader of all time". Thanks to that writer I spit out my coffee and laughed for a whole minute or so
As a stock holder, can you argue against his results? Turned IC around, found it a merger partner. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he at GTW and found it a merger partner? Then was st CN, and produced results. Finally "turned" CP around.

Depending on your point of view, they aren't far off the mark.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

CSX_CO wrote:
As a stock holder, can you argue against his results? Turned IC around, found it a merger partner. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he at GTW and found it a merger partner? Then was st CN, and produced results. Finally "turned" CP around.

Depending on your point of view, they aren't far off the mark.
How did he turn those railroads around? By instituting what some people would call a culture of fear in those under him. The "hunter way" is not the way to do business. Can he make a railroad turn a profit? Undoubtedly, that result speaks for itself. But how did he do it? He doesn't do it by growing the business and finding shippers. He does it by targeting anything he can of the company's assets that are not absolutely necessary.

Don't get me wrong, some of his operations strategies are good ideas. But for every good idea I hear from him, I hear another bad one. The man is full of himself and needs a humbling.

His own statement questioning what "public interest" means is a sign that he thinks so highly of himself that he can change the law. The more I read about this current attempt at NS, the more I think that Hunter and Bill think they are above the law.

As to who is the greatest railroader of all time? I'll leave a final decision to the writers of our history books, but may I submit W. Graham Claytor? Not for the Southern steam program, but for the fact that he brought pride to the companies he worked for, showed pride in what he did, had employees believing in what he was doing, he looked at the long term not just the next quarter, and managed to make positive changes at a time when the future was bleak for American railroads.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Attachments
giphy.gif
Brett

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

M.D.Bentley wrote:While you guys were at each other, the big dogs at CP are mounting a hostile take over.
And the other big dogs aren't about to stand on the sidelines either: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e27715716/

I don't see either BNSF nor UP standing-by idly, and risking being the "ugly" girl left standing alone at the (merger) dance. If Harrison and his hedge minions (or vice-versa) look like they're going to prevail I expect the really BIG DOG (read: Warren Buffet) to enter the fray. Either the bidding war begins or the STB (or Congress) steps in and shuts it all down.

Interesting times indeed.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

dmitzel wrote:
M.D.Bentley wrote:While you guys were at each other, the big dogs at CP are mounting a hostile take over.
And the other big dogs aren't about to stand on the sidelines either: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e27715716/

I don't see either BNSF nor UP standing-by idly, and risking being the "ugly" girl left standing alone at the (merger) dance. If Harrison and his hedge minions (or vice-versa) look like they're going to prevail I expect the really BIG DOG (read: Warren Buffet) to enter the fray. Either the bidding war begins or the STB (or Congress) steps in and shuts it all down.

Interesting times indeed.

Norfolk Southern will woo shareholders to block Ackman, CP bid: sources
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e27720284/

Norfolk Southern believes that Harrison becoming CEO would violate Surface Transportation Board rules barring a change of control before the matter is reviewed, the people said.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams