CSX Locomotive Roster News, Updates & Information Thread

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: CSX Locomotive Roster News, Updates & Information Thread

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Why, of course Max! Everything EMD until the SD60 was built for a predecessor. That's not including CR. I have not completed that listing so I have no hard numbers, but I'd estimate there are ~1000 units on the roster from CSX's ancestors

There is one YN1 and one CR unit left. 8865 is CR, 8318 is YN1. Both long-term stored in Huntington, and haven't moved in years.

I'll take the time to mention this: anybody who tells you the 8800s are heading out for rebuild are wrong. Not a single one has moved from Huntington towards MPI for dash-3 rebuilding. There are 23 known units there, including a retired one. They're all in the 8800, 8100 or 8200 series.
Whoops, when I mean't predecessor roads I was talking paint schemes. Guess i forgot to add that. Are any still in predecessor paint schemes? I am aware that CSX has a lot of predecessor engines it inherited. Just a few weeks ago a caught a unit originally built for the Penn Central.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:Why, of course Max! Everything EMD until the SD60 was built for a predecessor. That's not including CR. I have not completed that listing so I have no hard numbers, but I'd estimate there are ~1000 units on the roster from CSX's ancestors

There is one YN1 and one CR unit left. 8865 is CR, 8318 is YN1. Both long-term stored in Huntington, and haven't moved in years.

I'll take the time to mention this: anybody who tells you the 8800s are heading out for rebuild are wrong. Not a single one has moved from Huntington towards MPI for dash-3 rebuilding. There are 23 known units there, including a retired one. They're all in the 8800, 8100 or 8200 series.
Don't forget the SD70M's that were built for EMDX and the SD70MAC's built for Conrail. I wouldn't be surprised if those units do get sent out eventually. Sad that CSX has all these SD40-2's sitting around and NS is keeping everything it owns on the road and rehabbing everything.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Oh, there are scads of different legacies and whatnot floating around.

Max, if there were, don't you think we would be listing them in the monthly totals? Look and consider a bit ;)

I'll let Bob chime in as to when those went down...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Oh, there are scads of different legacies and whatnot floating around.

Max, if there were, don't you think we would be listing them in the monthly totals? Look and consider a bit ;)

I'll let Bob chime in as to when those went down...
Do you think I am goimg to read this huge thread? :wink:
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Well I expect you can read back at most a page to the December update. Search before you ask, please. You know I'm more willing to serve data and info than just about anybody else, but that doesn't mean I serve up double so you don't have to spend a minute skimming a page or two ;)

The last data, the Dec update and State of the Roster was only 10 replies above yours...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Well I expect you can read back at most a page to the December update. Search before you ask, please. You know I'm more willing to serve data and info than just about anybody else, but that doesn't mean I serve up double so you don't have to spend a minute skimming a page or two ;)

The last data, the Dec update and State of the Roster was only 10 replies above yours...
Fine. I only asked because it was in the spurt of the moment. I tend to forget things while I am thinking about them. BTW, I have not seen anything in regards to Chessie Units remaining. I see a few drones in Chessie Paint were still present until at least 08-09. Were they repainted/retired? Seaboard units seemed to have lasted quite a while too.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There are no more Seaboard or Chessie units left on CSX. The only engine not in CSX paint is a Conrail SD40-2 in storage.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

The rumors that the GEVO orders were canceled are false. New units, including the 3175-3178, reported by Fostoria Today :)

Units are known up thru 3178 now then, per photographs.
Last edited by Saturnalia on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Just a note, CSXT 9699 was seen finally on her own leading the Geometry Train recently down south FWIW.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I saw a photo, it's neat that they left the Mars light in (or whatever that second headlight it, although it should be a Mars light iirc). Surprised there are no Ditchlights, but if I reacll the Mars light counts as a form of "ditchglights" or additional lighting or whatever you please to call it. It would have been interesting to see all 3 forms of lights on the units much like some alter DRG&W units with had a full 3 piece light package (which I think was pretty cool)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

TrainWatcher wrote:Just a note, CSXT 9699 was seen finally on her own leading the Geometry Train recently down south FWIW.
It's been on its own for a couple months. It led the train from Indy to St. Louis late last year. I think the train set went to MEI for work over the last month or two from info via another source.

<edit>Went to St. Louis solo on December 3rd. So not quite 2 months.

Practice Safe CSX

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

TrainWatcher wrote:Just a note, CSXT 9699 was seen finally on her own leading the Geometry Train recently down south FWIW.
What kind of Locomotive is this because whenever I search CSXT 9699 I come up with Chessie #3802 at the B&O museum because that was its former number.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

MQT1223 wrote:
What kind of Locomotive is this because whenever I search CSXT 9699 I come up with Chessie #3802 at the B&O museum because that was its former number.
That's because it's not 9699, it's 9969, a former MARC GP40WH-2, which I believe CSX just classifies as a GP40-2.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Mr. Tops wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
That's because it's not 9699, it's 9969, a former MARC GP40WH-2, which I believe CSX just classifies as a GP40-2.
GP40WH

I believe the guts are GP40-2

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Just a note, CSXT 9699 was seen finally on her own leading the Geometry Train recently down south FWIW.
GP40WH

I believe the guts are GP40-2[/quote]
Ok cause Trainwatcher had the numbers flipped in his post. Makes sense now...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

That's what I get for trusting the Bullsheet, post Allen Brougham... :roll:

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YNCwf13Y5lA

9969 with gyra lights and marker lights. Via jackmp294.5
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YNCwf13Y5lA

9969 with gyra lights and marker lights. Via jackmp294.5
Looks pretty nice that way...
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Per Trains Magazine, CSX's Locomotive Fleet is a large portion of their 2015 capex:
The railroad’s 2015 capital improvement plan highlights several projects, including...The purchase and delivery of 200 General Electric ES44AH locomotives...Rebuilding about 95 locomotives.
Link: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... nding-plan

Not certain on the breakdown of those rebuilds yet, but it sounds like 50 SD40-3s are in the offing, maybe not all this year, but planned. The rest will be split between GP38-3s and GP40-3s I presume

No word on the SD40-2/SD80MAC trade deal in awhile still. NSDash9 hasn't recorded any new SD40-2 storage related to the trade since mid-December.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Per Trains Magazine, CSX's Locomotive Fleet is a large portion of their 2015 capex:
The railroad’s 2015 capital improvement plan highlights several projects, including...The purchase and delivery of 200 General Electric ES44AH locomotives...Rebuilding about 95 locomotives.
Link: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... nding-plan

Not certain on the breakdown of those rebuilds yet, but it sounds like 50 SD40-3s are in the offing, maybe not all this year, but planned. The rest will be split between GP38-3s and GP40-3s I presume

No word on the SD40-2/SD80MAC trade deal in awhile still. NSDash9 hasn't recorded any new SD40-2 storage related to the trade since mid-December.
I wonder what determines a railroad's course of action when it comes to locomotives. You look at NS and it seems they are rebuilding locomotives left and right where CSX rebuilds a handful and just buys more GEVO's (Yes NS does buy new locomotives as well). It's very clear to me that NS and CSX's perception of rebuilding locomotives is very different. One thing for sure is the guys at GE are very happy. Its too bad CSX won't get their feet wet again with EMD. The YN3B paint looks good on both.